The Greenspond Letter, Vol. 1, No.1, April 1994
FROM THE EVENING TELEGRAM, ST. JOHN'S, JULY 10,.1889:
THE GREENSPOND TOWN CLOCK PRESENTED BY CAPTAIN SAMUEL BLANDFORD
Unveiled amidst Great Excitement and Enthusiasm Wednesday, July 10, 1889 was the day appointed for the unveiling of the beautiful clock presented to St, Stephen's Parish Hall by Capt. S. Blandford, a respected native of Greenspond. The hour appointed for setting the clock in motion :was 12 o'clock (noon). Notwithstanding the inclement weather, an admiring and excited crowd congregated near the extensive building some time before the hour appointed, and preparations testifying their appreciation of the gift were made. When the clock was set in motion by Mr. Darius Blandford, brother of the donor, an appropriate hymn was sung by the choir of St. Stephen's Church, assembled beneath the tower, and the sound of canon resounded far and wide. In the evening the members of the above named choir and Sunday School teachers gave their numerous friends a most sumptious repast in the basement of the building in honour of the day, At 8:30 p,m. every part of the handsome building was illuminated, but above all could be seen, to the admiration of the harbour, the bright gleaming face of the clock, which was illuminated with two powerful lamps.
At 11 :30 the singing of "God Save the Queen" with three hearty cheers for the donor of the clock, brought the eventfulday to a close.
The Greenspond town clock is presently in the tower of St. Stephen's Anglican Church, Greenspond.